SAM Chest Seal With Valve
The SAM® Chest Seal is an occlusive dressing designed for treating open chest wounds (also known as a sucking chest wound), a life-threatening situation that could lead to tension pneumothorax. This is the second leading cause of preventable death on the battlefield.
The SAM Chest Seal meets CoTCCC preferred features for chest seals. Key features of the SAM Chest Seal include its strong adhesive and its flexible construction, which allows conformability over the wound. The adhesive properties have been tested to simulate various environments including adhesion to hair, sweat, blood, in the presence of sand, submersion in water, and during extended wear. The chest seal also adheres under extreme heat and cold. Another key advantage of the strong adhesion is its ability to reseal, making it ideal for venting the wound. The SAM Chest Seal addresses other military needs including a larger dressing area, and by including a highly and rapidly absorbent 5" x 9" pad for cleaning the wound area before application.
This version features a one-way valve when its cap is removed. The one-way valve provides for low resistance flow of air out of the chest cavity while preventing ingress. The valve is also designed to prevent blockage internally. With the cap in place, the dressing is occlusive. The domed shape of the valve was specially designed to prevent obstruction of the air channels from items such as blankets, clothing, and body armor.
With its ultimate use in global combat zones, the SAM Chest Seal is optimized for night vision. Both the packaging and chest seal can be viewed under no light conditions with the use of a night vision device. This allows for easier placement in all light conditions.
Benefits and Features
- FDA 510(k) Cleared
- Adheres despite the presence of blood, sweat, hair, and sand
- Adheres despite storage as defined in Military Standard 810G
- Easily applied in battlefield situations; dual tabs facilitate placement and removal of dressing
- Minimum incidence of allergic reactions to adhesive
- Oval shape with thin edge layer that resists lifting or peeling
- Creates an occlusive seal
- Ventable through lifting a flap on the seal; reseals well after venting
- Integrity and function maintained when stored or carried in folded configuration
- Dressing and packaging are night vision optimized; configured for ease of use in low-light environments
- Dual tabs facilitate placement and removal of dressing
- Vacuum packed tear and peel pouch
- Works under extreme heat and cold
- Elastic for conformability of curved body surfaces
- Rapid, highly absorbent 5" x 9" pad included
- One-way valve provides for low resistance airflow out of chest cavity while preventing ingress
- Valve is designed to prevent blockage internally and externally
- Cap allows occlusive option
- Puncture-resistant packaging; lightweight and ruggedized
- Long shelf life; inexpensive